FPA MN Recommended Career Resources
- FPA – www.fpanet.org - The largest network of financial planning professionals including allied professionals such as attorneys, accountants, and insurance agents. Has excellent career development information under “Career Center.”
- The Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc. Website – www.cfp.net - The premier standard for the financial planning profession. Site contains consumer information as well as information on how to obtain the CFP® credentials.
- The CPA-PFS – www.cpapfs.org - The Personal Financial Specialist (PFS) is the financial planning specialty accredition held exclusively by certified public accountants (CPAs) who are members of the American Institute of CPAs (AICPA). A CPA must demonstrate experience and expertise in a wide range of personal financial matters before being awarded the PFS.
Financial planners who have made the transition into financial planning as a new career have recommended these books:
- Getting Started as a Financial Planner – Jeffrey H. Rattiner
- Protecting Your Practice – Katherine Vessenes
- Deena Katz on Practice Management
- Best Practices for Financial Advisors – Mary Rowland
- The Wealth Management Index – Ross Levin
- Tools and Templates for your Practice – Deena Katz
- Asset Allocation – Roger C. Gibson
- Simple Asset Allocation Strategies – Roger C. Gibson
- The Simple Living Guide – Janet Luhrs
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People – Stephen R. Covey
- Who Moved My Cheese? – Spencer Johnson
- Making a Living Without a Job: Winning Ways for Creating Work that You Love – Barbara J. Winter
magazines & newsletters
There are numerous magazines that are dedicated to financial planners. Here are some of the best! Most require membership in their organization or by subscription.
- Journal of Financial Planning (Financial Planning Association)
- Inside Information (Bob Veres)
- Investment Advisor
- Bloomberg Wealth Manager
- NAPFA Advisor
- Nerds Eye View by Michael Kitces
- Financial Advisor
And if you want to know what your prospective clients are reading:
FPA provides exceptional opportunities to help members attain the hallmark of financial planning - the CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER certification. Visit the Learn Section of the FPA website for additional resources on how to get started in the financial planning profession.
Here are some review courses that can help you meet the education requirements needed to sit for the CFP® Certification Examination.
- Minnesota State University – Mankato
- St. Thomas University
- University of Wisconsin, River Falls
- College for Financial Planning (Self Study Program)
- California Lutheran University - Online MBA in Financial Planning
- Kaplan College (Self Study Program)
- American College (Self Study Program)
- National listing of education programs can be found at the CFP Board website - www.cfp.net/become/programs.asp